Frequently Asked Questions

Company Formation, Visa, Compliance and Governance

Visa FAQs and 10 Tips on Visas in Hong Kong

What Visa schemes are available and what are the difference between Employment visa and Investment visa and others?

There are eight admission schemes for talents, professionals and entrepreneurs seeking to work and live in Hong Kong, namely  Employment Visa for professionals, Visa for business investors and entrepreneursMainland China talents and professionals, Quality Migrants, Technology Talent, Non-local Graduates, Second Generation Permanent Residents, and Dependants. Additionally there are visas to study, for training, i.e. student interns, and working holiday visas.

Can I bring my family?

Yes, persons admitted under the General Employment Policy, i.e, holding a visa for employment or as entrepreneurs can bring their spouses and unmarried children under the age of 18 as dependants. Spouses refers to married partners under Hong Kong or overseas law and celebrated civil partnerships or unions that are recognized by law in the place where they have been entered into. 

Is there a visa for job seekers?

An application for an employment visa requires a confirmed offer of employment. Thus, is not suitable for jobseekers. The Quality Migrant Admission Scheme (QMAS), however, is solely based on individual merits and does not require an employment. 

What are the criteria and requirements for a visa application?

The basic eligibility criteria are that the applicant is of good standing, ie. there is no security objection and no known record of serious crime, has a good academic background, normally a first degree in the relevant field, proven professional abilities and relevant experience, there is a genuine job vacancy that cannot be readily taken up by the local work force and the applicant has a confirmed offer of employment at a remuneration package broadly commensurate with the prevailing market level for such professionals in Hong Kong.

Which visa is the best?

The best visa is the one that is most suitable to the circumstances. 

How long is the visa processing time?

For an employment visa, the estimated time frame is eight weeks to compile the application and for the immigration department to assess. Additional time may be required where supporting documents are not readily available or in cases where the immigration department seeks further clarification.

How much money is required to sponsor a visa application by my company?

There is not one figure that is right or wrong. The company sponsoring an application or an entrepreneur establishing a business should be able to show sufficient funds to sustain and remain operational. As a rule of thumb, there should be enough funds to cover the increase in expenses from the foreign hire or to establish a business for a period of six to twelve months.

Can I work in China with a Hong Kong Visa?

No. Hong Kong and Mainland China a separate under the one country – two systems policy. Hong Kong is a Special Administrative Region and administers its own immigration policy. Applications to work and reside in China must be filed with the applicable Chinese authorities.

When can I get Permanent Residency?

The prerequisite of applying for the right of abode or permanent residency in Hong Kong requires a continuous stay of at least seven years. 

What happens if I lose my job or resign and do I have to leave Hong Kong?

When an employment relationship is terminated, irrespective of the reason or terminating party, the employing company should inform the immigration department of the cessation of sponsorship. It is the general policy of the immigration department not to cancel or revoke visas. Thus, the visa holder may remain in Hong Kong for the remaining duration of the visa. Subject to additional conditions of stay, employment visa holders will need to seek the immigration department’s approval should they wish to work for another company. 

Hong Kong Company Formation FAQs

What companies can be incorporated in Hong Kong?

The most common form of business entities that are incorporated in Hong Kong is a company limited by shares, or simply, a Limited Company. Limited companies are further distinguished into private and public companies, depending on their size. Public companies are subject to stricter compliance regulations than private companies. The majority of registered companies in Hong Kong are considered private companies limited by shares. 

A limited company means that the liability of the shareholders do not extend to them personally, unlike a sole proprietorship or a general partnership, and is wholly contained within the company. The incorporation of a limited company establishes a separate legal personality for that company with the same rights and obligations of a natural person.

Other than a limited company by shares, you can incorporate a limited company by guarantee. Limited companies by guarantee are always public companies. They do not have a share capital and instead the members undertake or guarantee that, subject to the guaranteed amount specified, they will bear the liabilities and cost of winding down the company. Limited companies by guarantee are typically used for not-for-profit causes. 

Which entity is the best?

In most cases, a limited company will be the most appropriate.

How long does it take to incorporate a company?

The incorporation of a company typically takes 5-7 working days. The signed incorporation form is required to be submitted to the Companies Registry. Thus, you should add a few days for the courier to deliver the documents.

Alternatively, submissions can be made in electronic form and are usually processed within the same day, however, the e-incorporation service is available to registered users only.

What are the requirements for a company incorporation and are local officers or representatives required?

To register a company, the shareholder(s), whether they are individuals or other corporations, must appoint at least one director, who is a natural person.

The director(s) may be the same person(s) as the shareholder(s).

Private companies may even appoint corporate directors, provided that there is at least one natural person director.

Following the principle of separation of ownership and management, the shareholder(s) may appoint unrelated director(s).

Other office bearers appointed to the company are the Company Secretary and Designated Representative, who are required to be ordinarily residing in Hong Kong.

It is highly recommended to appoint a professional service provider to this office, such as Encore, to ensure statutory compliance and good governance.

The company name must not be the same or of confusible similarity as a name appearing in the index of company names kept by the Registrar of Companies.

Do I need a service provider to incorporate a company for me?

No, but it is generally recommended. The Companies Registry accepts submissions from founder members and directors directly and the incorporation forms and model articles are available from the Registry’s website. However, if you are not resident in Hong Kong or are the sole director, you will need a Hong Kong resident company secretary and designated representative to be appointed as officers. In addition, if you are not familiar with the corporate governance requirements and records, a professional service provider can assist you.

Is it required to have an office?

It is not required to rent an office. The company must provide a Hong Kong address as its registered address which cannot be a PO box. 

Is it is acceptable to use a residential address as business registration address?

The Companies Registry will accept a residential address to be submitted as the registered address of a company. Having said that, apart from the use of a residential address at a reputational disadvantage, there may be building or lease conditions that restrict the use of premises. Compass Offices offers virtual offices services at a variety of well reputed commercial building where your new company can feel at home.

Can I do business in China with a Hong Kong company?

Hong Kong and China are two separate jurisdictions under the One Country – Two Systems principle. A Hong Kong company can enter into business with Chinese companies. In order to do business domestically in the Mainland, a Wholly Foreign Owned Entity (WFOE) in Mainland China can be established.

What are the statutory governance and compliance requirements for a company in Hong Kong?

Every Hong Kong company is required to maintain and keep its statutory records, file all government returns in time and have its accounts audited annually. 

Can I open a bank account with my company?

Yes, a Hong Kong company can apply to have a bank account opened at any Hong Kong or overseas bank. 

C O N T A C T   U S 

Do you have further questions?

If you are looking for a business partner that’s committed, agile, expert, and genuine, you’ve come to the right place.

We’re Encore and we’re ready to talk.

To contact us, simply fill in your details and leave a message. We'll be in touch within the next business day to discuss your requirements and answer any questions you might have.

First Name
Last Name